Gender & Sexuality Services has a team of student volunteers who help support our campus resources and benefit from year-long professional development. If you are interested in this volunteer position, please read the list of expectations for GSS volunteers and fill out the application below. Applications for the Fall 2019 semester are open until April 4. Queer Peer Mentoring applications are due on April 4 here.
Our volunteers should plan to spend 3 hours per week with GSS. We have two tracks of volunteers: Rainbow Squad Volunteers and Queer Peer Mentors. Rainbow Squad work most closely with the GSS team on events, education, and resources. Queer Peer Mentors provide one-on-one support to incoming or new-to-the-community LGBTQ+ students.
Rainbow Squad Expectations
- Required to participate in both volunteer training AND a train-the-trainer program, scheduled for April 27
- Serve as co-facilitators for the Safe Zone Ally training program
- Assist with creating and maintaining additional educational programs or resources
- Support the work of the Mentors and GSS staff
- Host one resource hour per week in GSS
- Attend a weekly team meeting
- Other opportunities may include representing GSS at orientations and resource fairs, assisting with events, supporting the functions of GSS, or individually proposed projects
Volunteer Expectations (all)
- Communicate timely and respectfully in person and in e-mail
- Greet all visitors who come into GSS and introduce yourself to them with your name and pronouns
- Dress in business casual or Panther attire when representing the Center and wear a GSS nametag
- Respect that the Center is a safe space and keep all interactions with students inside of the Center confidential. However you must share concerns for students' well being with GSS staff members.
- Understand that you are a role model and are expected to act as one in your role inside the Center as well as what you do outside the Center (post on social media, say to friends, and do on the weekends)
If you are interested in serving as a GSS Rainbow Squad Volunteer, please fill out the application below. If you are interested in serving as a Queer Peer Mentor, please go to this page. If you do not receive a follow-up e-mail within a week, please contact us at email@example.com.