Gender & Sexuality Services has a team of student volunteers who help support our campus resources and benefit from year-long professional development. If you are interested in this volunteer position, please read the list of expectations for GSS volunteers and fill out the application below. Applications for the Spring 2019 semester are open until the positions are filled. Queer Peer Mentoring applications will open this Spring for the Fall 2019 semester.
Our volunteers should plan to spend 3 hours per week with GSS. We have two tracks of volunteers: Education/Event Coordinators and Queer Peer Mentors. Educators and Event Coordinators work most closely with the GSS team for the duration of the academic year. Queer Peer Mentors provide one-on-one support to incoming or new-to-the-community LGBTQ+ students for the first quarter of the Fall semester.
Education & Event Coordinators
- Required to participate in both volunteer training AND a train-the-trainer program, TBD according to volunteer availability
- Serve as co-facilitators for the Safe Zone Ally training program
- Assist with creating and maintaining additional educational programs or resources
- Support the work of the Event Coordinators and Center staff
- Host one resource hour per week in GSS
- Attend a weekly team meeting
- Other opportunities may include representing GSS at orientations and resource fairs, assisting with events, supporting the functions of GSS, or individually proposed projects
Volunteer Expectations (all)
- Communicate timely and respectfully in person and in e-mail
- Greet all visitors who come into GSS and introduce yourself to them with your name and pronouns
- Dress in business casual or Panther attire when representing the Center and wear a GSS nametag
- Respect that the Center is a safe space and keep all interactions with students inside of the Center confidential. However you must share concerns for students' well being with GSS staff members.
- Understand that you are a role model and are expected to act as one in your role inside the Center as well as what you do outside the Center (post on social media, say to friends, and do on the weekends)
If you are interested in serving as a GSS Student Event or Education Coordinator, please fill out the application below. If you are interested in serving as a Queer Peer Mentor, please go to this page. If you do not receive a follow-up e-mail within a week, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.